The latest report from the New York Daily News' A-Rod Watch 2013 says the embattled Yankees third baseman has two options in his stand-off with MLB: Take a deal that would suspend him for the rest of 2013 and all of 2014, or face a lifetime ban.
It's another indication that Rodriguez — simultaneously at odds with the New York Yankees about his injury rehab and with MLB about the Biogenesis scandal — is unlikely to play this season. He's supposed to begin a second round of minor-league rehab this week, but reports indicate that MLB's impending suspension hammer would strike down upon him before that. The Daily News says MLB "hopes to know by Monday" whether A-Rod will take the deal. The resulting suspension or ban should follow pretty quickly.
It might sound like Bud Selig & Co. have A-Rod backed into a corner — the same corner Ryan Braun was in last week, only darker — but the Daily News quotes an A-Rod source as saying the 38-year-old with the $275 million contract isn't coping a plea, even if there's a pot of gold at the end.
READ MORE: Yahoo! Sports